Marble & Granite Countertops: Care Tips and Knowing When to Call in the Experts
Both marble and granite countertops are a significant investment, adding a touch of luxury and longevity to any kitchen or bathroom. But while these natural stones are durable, they aren’t invincible. Proper care is key to maintaining their beauty and preventing damage. Here’s how you can ensure your countertops stay pristine and when it’s time to call in the experts at Clean Pro Carpet and Restoration.
1. Daily Maintenance
- Wipe Down Regularly: Use a soft cloth or sponge with warm water to wipe down the surface daily. For a deeper clean, use a mild soap or a stone cleaner specifically designed for marble or granite.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Stay away from acidic or alkaline cleaners as they can damage the stone’s surface. This includes vinegar, lemon, or bleach-based cleaners.
2. Preventing Damage
- Use Coasters and Trivets: Despite their hard surface, both marble and granite can be etched by acidic substances like wine, coffee, or citrus juices. Always use coasters and avoid placing hot pots or pans directly on the countertop.
- Seal Regularly: Both granite and marble are porous to some degree. A good-quality sealer can prevent stains and damage. Typically, sealing is recommended every 1-2 years, but consult with a professional for specific guidance for your countertops.
3. Addressing Spills and Stains
- Blot, Don’t Wipe: If something spills, blot it up immediately with a clean cloth to prevent it from seeping into the stone’s pores.
- Use a Poultice for Tough Stains: For stubborn stains, a poultice made from baking soda and water can help draw out the stain. However, always test on a small, inconspicuous area first.
When to Call Clean Pro Carpet and Restoration
Regular maintenance and prevention can keep your countertops looking new for years. However, if you notice deep stains, cracks, chips, or any other form of damage, it might be time to call in the experts.
At Clean Pro Carpet and Restoration, we specialize in restoring the beauty and integrity of marble and granite countertops. Our trained professionals use specialized tools and techniques to effectively address even the most challenging issues.
In conclusion, while marble and granite countertops are a stunning addition to any home, they require care and attention. Know when to DIY and when to call in the experts for best results.